Rodent Removal in Fair Oaks CA
Rat control and removal for Fair Oaks. Our pest control team eliminates rodent infestations.
Rodent Control in Fair Oaks
Rodents are one of the most destructive and dangerous disease carrying pests in Fair Oaks and the Sacramento area. Every year rats and mice cause extensive damage to residential and commercial buildings, and even cause electrical fires. Rats and mice have strong incisors that allow them to easily chew through most construction materials including plywood, electrical wiring, plastic plumbing, wood beams and other materials used in home construction. Because of this, rodent proofing your home is an important prevention step. Additionally, rats and mice contaminate food sources and any surfaces they touch. Their excrement, urine, and shed fur carry bacteria and viruses that can make your family and visitors sick. Rodents carry a variety of diseases and bacteria that are dangerous to the health of people with both strong and weak immune systems. The health risks posed by rodents cannot be ignored. If you have a rodent infestation, you should call a reputable pest control company immediately.
Professional Rat Exterminators
Our team has over twenty years experience in rodent control and rat extermination. If you need residential or commercial rodent control, our pest control experts will help you solve your rat problem. See the next section for signs of a rodent infestation.
"*" indicates required fields
Signs of a Rodent Infestation in Fair Oaks CA
It might be difficult to detect a rodent infestation at first, because rats and mice nest in dark quiet areas during the day, hidden from everyday sight. Rats and mice are nocturnal, looking for food and building nesting sites when you are asleep.
Typically, rodents nest in attics, inside your walls, inside furniture, under foundations, behind refrigerators or stoves, inside closets, or in outdoor buildings and sheds. Other outdoors places rodents may colonize are under decks, in crawl spaces, in woodpiles, or in overgrown vegetation.
There are unmistakable signs to look for to help you identify a rodent infestation. If you see any of these signs, you most likely already have a rodent infestation in your business or home.
- Scratching or Scurrying Noises. Rodents make noise as the scurry in the attic, under floorboards, and inside walls. If you hear strange sounds, this could be a sign of a rat infestation.
- Gnaw Marks or Holes. Rodents gnaw on walls, wood, electrical wiring, and food packaging. They do this because their front incisors never stop growing. Gnaw marks are almost always an indication of rodents in the building.
- Rodent Droppings. If you see small rat droppings in cabinets and pantries, or in your attic, garage, along your fence line, this means rodents are making themselves at home.
- Runways or Scurrying Paths. Rodents will scurry along pathways such as walls, fence lines, foundations, and ledges. Rats and mice tend to run alongside walls, and can leave greasy stains from their fur.
- Strong Urine Odor. Rodent urine has a strong musky odor. Weird scents, especially in dark areas, can be a sign of rodent activity.
- Rodent Nests. Look for shredded materials like paper, cardboard, or fabric indoors or burrow holes in the ground outside.
- Unusual Pet Behavior. Your pet may act strange when they smell or hear rodents in the house. Listen to what your pets are telling you.
Mouse Extermination in Fair Oaks
Mice can invade different types of commercial and residential buildings, including single family homes, condominiums, townhomes, duplexes, and apartment buildings. Our rodent exterminators can eradicate rodents from your home using pet-safe and child-safe solutions. We also exterminate rats and mice from commercial properties, including: restaurants, grocery stores, warehouses, rental properties, food processing plants, schools, office space, and other commercial units.
Damage Caused by Rats in Fair Oaks Homes
In addition to destroying walls, food, and furniture, they also gnaw on electrical wiring, which can cause a house fire. The National Fire Prevention Agency estimates as many as 3,300 house fires per year are caused by rodents short circuiting electrical wires.
Additionally, rats and mice spread diseases like hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), typhus, Tularemia and Salmonella. Rats and mice also contribute to indirect spread of diseases like Colorado tick fever, spotted fever, anaplasmosis, plague, and West Nile virus. These are usually spread via an intermediate host, when a flea, tick, or mosquito bites an infected rat and then transmits to humans. Rodent droppings can also spread diseases through contaminating food, personal items, and other surfaces your family comes in contact with.
Eco-Friendly Rodent Extermination in Fair Oaks
Our rodent exterminators use only child-safe and pet-safe solutions to eliminate rats, mice, and rodents from your home or business. Our commitment to the safety of your family or patrons is our primary concern. Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.
Most Common Types of Rodents in Fair Oaks
In the Sacramento area, home and business owners deal with several types of rodents. Some of the most common rodents are:
- Norway Rat
- Roof Rat
- Field/ House Mice
Norway rats, also known as brown rats or sewer rats are a large burrowing rat that weighs about a pound at maturity. They have brown or brownish red fur, and long tails. Norway rats burrow and form nests about 100 feet from food sources, often in fields or under woodpiles or other clutter. They may also live in sewers in cities, or under the foundation of your home.
The Norway rat has about 6 litters per year, and usually have between 6 and 12 babies per litter. These rats leave large black droppings, about ½” to ¾” long. If you have a Norway rat infestation, you may notice gnaw marks around your home and property, or small food stockpiles or grease marks around their nesting areas.
To prevent a Norway Rat infestation, take the following steps:
- Seal any external opening with caulk or steel wool. These rats can get through very small openings.
- Clean up woodpiles on your property. Keep stacks of wood far away from your home.
- Seal your food in air-tight containers.
- Get rid of clutter outdoors, pick up any debris, eliminate yard waste. These can be used for nesting material or places to hide their burrow entrances.
- Fix leaky pipes and garden hose seals. Each Norway rat needs about one ounce of water per day. Eliminating water sources will make your property inhospitable to rats.
Roof rats are the other type of rat commonly found in California. Also known as black rats or ship rats, roof rats live above ground, and are known to nest within attics, roofs, in treetops, or closer to the ground in piles of wood or rubbish. They can also nest in the walls of your home, in cabinets, or in false ceilings. The roof rat is about 13 to 17 inches long, head to tail, and has a thin body with dark gray or black fur. These rats have a pointed nose, long tail, and large ears.
The roof rat leaves black droppings, about half an inch long, with pointed ends. You may see signs of gnawing if you have a roof rat infestation. They will eat anything, including electrical wires, paper, and cardboard. Roof rats weight about half a pound at maturity. They have new litters about every 2 to 3 months. These rats are notorious for carrying diseases, including bubonic plague, so these infestations are particularly serious.
How can you prevent an infestation of roof rats? These are steps you can take.
- Seal every hole on the external part of your home with silicone or caulk. Roof rats only need a hole the size of a quarter to enter your home. Plug any external opening with steel wool
- Store all food in air-tight sealable containers.
- Trim all bushes and vegetation around your property regularly.
- Cut tree branches away from your house. Roof rats can climb the trees and enter through the attic.
The most common type of mouse in the Sacramento area, the house mouse weighs about three-quarters of an ounce, and breeds extremely quickly. An adult female house mouse can give birth to six pups every three weeks. These mice have fur that is dusty gray to black, and they are about two to six inches long head to tail. They eat grains, meats, fish, and other food that is left unsealed. House mice nest in dark secluded areas of the home about ten to thirty feet from food sources.
What are signs of a mouse infestation?
- Small rod-shaped droppings with pointed ends
- Gnaw marks on food storage, walls, or wires
- Strong urine smell
- Small food stashes
- Seeing small rodents, either alive or dead
How to Get Rid of Rodents in Fair Oaks CA
Rodents are a serious pest issue and can prove very difficult to control. It’s important to identify if you have a rodent issue before it gets out of control or serious damage is caused. Here are a few helpful tips to minimize your chances of dealing with a rodent infestation.
- Rodent Proofing: sealing and repairing entry points & screens on the exterior of your home.
- Installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Keeping the attic and crawlspaces well ventilated and dry.
- Cutting tree branches back away from the roof.
- Removing food sources such as pet food, fruit trees, vegetable gardens, and bird feeders.
- Decluttering the inside and outside of your home as much as possible.
- Frequently Inspecting common nesting and runway sites for signs of rodent activity.
- Lastly, a regular rodent inspection & protection plan will help deter and eliminate rodents from your home or business.
Why Choose Pointer Pest Control?
Rodent Control Service Areas at Pointer Pest Control
We provide rat extermination and rodent control to the following areas in Sacramento County and Placer County.
- Citrus Heights
- Elk Grove
- Fair Oaks
- Gold River
- Granite Bay
- Rancho Cordova
- Rio Linda
- West Sacramento
Contact Your Local Rodent Control Experts
Rodent infestations can become an expensive nightmare in your home or business, if left untreated, Let Pointer Pest Control help you control rats ans mice, and neutralize the threat. With over 18 years of experience in the Greater Sacramento area, our friendly and reliable rodent pest experts can eradicate the rats and mice from your property using pet-safe and child-safe solutions.
Schedule your free rodent inspection today (916) 892-0005. We offer a pest service that is 100% guaranteed to work and backed by our Pointer Promise warranty to ensure your complete satisfaction (free unlimited treatments in between).
Request Your Free Rodent Inspection & Quote Today
Your Local Fair Oaks Pest Experts Are Standing By Ready To Help.
Complete The Form Below Or Call (916) 892-0005 To Schedule An Appointment For Immediate Assistance.
"*" indicates required fields